Firming Creams and Skin Tightening Lotion: The Hard Facts
It is a sad reality but all of us will face having loose and saggy skin as we grow older. Try to feel the skin of a baby and someone in their 50s or 60s. The big difference in both texture and appearance lie in the absence of collagen and elastin in the body. Here comes a myriad of firming creams and firming lotions ready to rescue. And because we are a society obsessed with feeling good and looking good, these products are definitely popular nowadays.
Many firming creams and firming lotions promise supple and taut skin. Some even promise losing inches without doing any exercise. As with any skin care product, firming lotions and firming creams contain active ingredients, which help fulfill the promise of a good and young looking skin.
VITAL INGREDIENTS IN FIRMING CREAMS
- Seaweed – The Japanese sea kelp or seaweed has long been used as an ingredient in mostfirming lotions. A lot of firming lotion products claim to have sea kelp, but once checked some of these have it in small doses. To be sure about its effectiveness in making your skin tight, this ingredient must be used in high concentrations or used as an active ingredient.
- Vitamin E – Check the product’s ingredient list for Vitamin E as this is essential in improving the skin’s elasticity. Be sure to use firming cream products with natural Vitamin E as synthetic Vitamin E does not work as much compared to the natural one. A firming cream with lots of Vitamin E can surely work its magic on your skin.
- XtendTK (or CynergyTK) – A major skin care breakthrough and one of the latest ingredients to be added to firming lotions and firming creams, is actually a type of efficient keratin. It is not available for use directly by consumers but most cosmetic companies that manufacture firming creams have this as their core ingredient. Used to be called CynergyTK, the XtendTK helps replace lost keratin in the skin. Keratin being essential to collagen and elastin production in turn makes the skin healthier and younger looking.
- Coenzyme Q10 – An ingredient that has plenty of antioxidants is now widely used in most firming lotions available in the market today. This ingredient, much like the CynergyTK can actually aid in elastin and collagen formation. It can make saggy skin look so much younger. Consumers must be aware though that coenzyme Q10 must be in its tiniest suspension form in order to go through the deepest layers of the skin and protect it from free radicals.
- Shea Butter – This is a core ingredient in the production of most firming creams and lotions. Shea butter is used in most cosmetic products. It is slightly yellowish in color and comes from the nut of the African shea tree. It is an ingredient in most moisturizers, firming creams, as well as sun block lotions. Shea butter has been found to be effective in treating wrinkles, dry skin, and stretch marks.
There are still so many active ingredients present in firming lotions but a mix of some of these items can already aid in making the skin look softer and younger.
WHAT TO AVOID
Customers need to be weary though in buying firming lotions and firming creams that claim to erase cellulite. No amount of firming lotion can cure cellulite. Cellulite formation happens when the tissues under the skin are pulled down by fat. It is a universal problem that most women have as they age. By exercising and observing proper diet, cellulite reduction can happen. This is not to say that most firming creams have no real purpose. Firming lotions can temporarily mask the appearance of the skin.
Another thing that customer should be worried about in their current choice of firming lotion products are parabens. Parabens are chemicals that preserve most cosmetics and it is being linked to have high levels of cancerous/carcinogenic and estrogenic properties. Estrogens are known to stimulate breast cancer especially when absorbed through the skin. Cosmetic companies use parabens since it is low in cost and effective in extending the shelf life of products.
The Natural Way
When searching for products such as firming lotions and firming creams, consumers should always be alert in detecting harmful chemicals. In the quest for the best skin care products, one must consider health impact over the promise of aesthetics. On a positive note, current trends in product development of most skin care products are now geared towards the use of organic and natural ingredients.
Such products can help make us feel and look better, but it is also in learning to accept the natural ageing process through proper diet and exercise can we also feel a deeper sense of contentment and happiness, with or without using any firming cream or firming lotion.